I have loved chocolate since I was a kid. You might even call me a "chocoholic." I will eat chocolate in just about any form at any time of the day. On pancakes. In waffles. Blended in smoothies. On fruit. Even in it's raw form, all dark and bitter. It's safe to say chocolate is a staple in my minimalist kitchen.
I used to make my chocolate milkshakes with cocoa powder, but since I now buy my cacao powder in bulk I have been buying raw cacao powder. The result? The same delicious taste with an added boost of nutrients. Raw cacao powder is cold-pressed and kept at low temperatures, making it extremely high in antioxidants and loaded with a variety of health benefits. Although cocoa powder is derived from the same cacao nibs as raw cacao powder, many of the antioxidants are destroyed during the production process when the cocoa is roasted at high heat.
Did you know?
Dairy interferes with the absorption of nutrients from cacao. Crazy, right? It's like taking a big multivitamin and not reaping any of the benefits. All the more reason to opt-in for the vegan option, if you ask me ;).
Creamy & Chocolaty
This dreamy chocolaty milkshake will leave you wanting more. The coconut milk in this milkshake allows for the full health benefits of the cacao powder. Besides being healthy though, this chocolate milkshake just taste so so good. You are welcome to adjust the sweetness in your milkshake. I am using monk sugar, as I am still following the candida cleanse. However, I imagine a frozen banana or some fresh dates would add a rich kind of sweetness.
Makes approx. 1 milkshake
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk unsweetened
- 1/2 raw almond milk
- 1.5 tbs cacao or cocoa powder (add more to make it even chocolatier)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon monk sugar (candida cleanse friendly) OR 1 - 2 frozen banana OR 3 dates
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
- 4 ice cubes
- Sprinkle of cacao nibs
*Affiliate links above. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
- Apart from the cacao nibs, throw all of your ingredients into the blender.
- Blend until fluffy and creamy (1 - 2 minutes).
- Serve in your favorite jar. Sprinkle on your favorite toppings, including: peanut butter, cacao nibs, coconut flakes, or even chocolate fudge!